If you feel that your water bill is higher than it should be, chances are that your plumbing system is leaking. The source of the leak could be anything from the toilet to a leaky faucet. Don’t delay getting the problem fixed, as it will only worsen. These tips will help you determine whether there is a water leakage issue in your home:
- Close all faucets and other water sources in your home.
- A red or yellow triangle/circle called a ‘leak indicator’ is located on your water meter. If there is a leak somewhere, this indicator will be spinning to show there is unwanted water flow.
- Shut off the main water supply valve so that no water flows in your plumbing system, and no activity shows on the water meter. Adjust this valve slowly since it is probably old and the water pressure will be high.
- If the movement on your water meter does not stop, this indicates that the valve isn’t working. This should be fixed immediately because you could be at great risk of water damage if a problem arises and you are unable to shut off the water supply immediately.
- After you shut off the valve, check if any water is still running from the faucets when you turn them on.
- Provided the valve is functioning fine, but the leak indicator has not stopped moving, it can be concluded that the plumbing system is leaking somewhere between your home and the meter. You should then contact a plumber who will locate and handle the leak professionally.
Have your plumber double check the main valve to make sure it is in excellent condition and not at risk of breaking.
Plumbing system leakage can cost you a lot more if it isn’t repaired promptly. Calling in a good plumber to have it fixed will significantly help you save on water bills.
From time to time, everyone needs drain cleaning, slab leak repair, leak detection, water heater repair, and water heater installation. Drain Master Plumbing offers consistent, professional service to help you tackle any problem issue you may have. As a local plumber, we will always give you honest advice when you call about a plumbing problem.